Friday, October 17, 2014

Irish Breakfast Sausage Rolls

Irish Breakfast Sausages Rolls




My daughter Katie’s and her husband’s anniversary was coming up last June and I wanted to make a special brunch for them.  Katie is an amazing cook herself, so I always have to step up my game a notch when it comes to impressing her.  I went to one of her favorite treasure sources for good ideas and recipes, Pinterest and came upon Irish Breakfast Sausage Rolls.  There are plenty of recipes online for sausage rolls and I decided that I wanted something simple and organic like I would imagine a sausage roll made in a traditional Irish farm home would be.  So here is what I came up with:

My father is a butcher, so I love to make sausage at home.  You can ask your grocery store butcher to grind a pork roast for you, and add your own ingredients, buy it over the counter or buy a chub of breakfast sausage where they keep the bacon and sausage.  I boiled a couple of potatoes and eggs and chopped them well when they cooled.  I finely diced onions and mixed the sausage, potatoes and eggs with a raw egg added as a binder.  For the puff pastry, you can make your own from scratch or buy frozen puff pastry in the frozen section of the grocery store where frozen pie shells are kept. I have made puff pastry before and its really the best, but for time sake, and lets be honest, I was preparing a huge meal for quite a few people, I used store bought puff pastry this time and it worked fabulous! I cut strips of puff pastry approximately 4 x 4, rolled about 2 tablespoons of sausage mixture and placed it in the center of the pastry dough, rolling it up and used melted butter to seal the pastry closed.  Place the sausage rolls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 325 until sausage ends are browned and pastry is golden.  

I made three sheets of Irish breakfast sausage rolls and there was not a crumb left, totally hit!

Thyme For Tobe' has menus available for special occasions like brunches, lunches and teas.  Give me a call at 909/272-5047 or email me at thymefortobe@gmail.com

Come visit us at http://thymefortobe.com


No comments:

Post a Comment